Sunday, July 24, 2011

Breakfast Sausage



Today I made breakfast sausage. Friday, I found a large pork butt roast....15 pounds large. It was use or freeze by the next day, so it was marked down to just .85 a pound. I didn't end up getting to it Saturday, but as we all know, there is a little wiggle room on meats. Properly packaged and refrigerated, it's fine for a day or two past its date.

I cut the meat into strips that would fit in my grinder and used the "Shake and Bake" method to cover it with seasoning. Then I fed it through the grinder. The result was a well mixed sausage. I portioned it into 2-ish pound servings and into the freezer it went. Well, all but one. Eggs and sausage sound good for tomorrow's breakfast!

Homemade Breakfast Sausage Spices

2 tbsp of dried sage
1 tbsp + 1 tsp of salt
2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 pinches ground cloves
4 lbs of ground pork


1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the recipe. We're thinking of raising some pigs and I'd wondered what a good recipe was for seasoning sausage. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please feel free to leave kind words, new ideas, requests for recipes, even gentle criticism if needed in the spirit of Proverbs 16:24.

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones."