Friday, August 5, 2011

Green Beans!





I got to go to my friend's house and pick green beans today. I ended up with a full gallon bucket! We had some with dinner, and I hope to get more at the farmer's market Saturday. I need to get some canned. They are our absolute favorite summer veggie. Here's one of the recipes I like to make with them. We haven't had it in a long time, though, since it has tomatoes in it. If you can eat tomatoes, you should try this...tonight. It's that good.



Sizzling Green Beans



1 pound green beans, topped, tailed and snapped

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

2 cloves garlic, minced

1-2 large tomatoes, chopped

2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced

2 tsp dried basil

1 tsp EACH thyme and oregano

salt and pepper to taste

Parmesan cheese



Boil beans in water for 5 minutes, then plunge into ice water. Heat olive oil in skillet and add peppers. Cook one minute. Remove pepper flakes. Add garlic tomato and seasonings, except cheese. Turn heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add beans and heat through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please feel free to leave kind words, new ideas, requests for recipes, even gentle criticism if needed in the spirit of Proverbs 16:24.

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones."